Man faces 15 extortion-related charges over violent incidents in Surrey and Abbotsford

Subhadarshi Tripathy

5/20/20262 min read

A 22-year-old man is facing a long list of extortion-related charges after investigators linked him to a series of violent incidents targeting businesses in Surrey and Abbotsford late last year. Surrey Police Service and the Abbotsford Police Department announced Tuesday that Gursewak Singh has now been charged in connection with three incidents that took place in December 2025.

Police say Singh was first arrested by Abbotsford officers after a shooting at a business on King Road on Dec. 17, 2025. He was initially charged with unlawfully discharging a firearm in that case, and investigators later expanded the file after finding links to two earlier Surrey incidents.

Investigators tied three incidents together

According to Surrey Police, officers responded on Dec. 14, 2025, to reports of shots fired at a business in the 8000 block of 120 Street. The business had previously received extortion threats, but no one inside was injured.

The following day, on Dec. 15, police were called to a business parking lot in the 12400 block of Old Yale Road, where two vehicles had been deliberately set on fire. Police say that business had also received extortion threats.

Investigators say evidence gathered by AbbyPD and Surrey Police connected Singh to both Surrey incidents as well as the Abbotsford shooting, allowing the two departments to coordinate their cases.

Charges include arson, extortion and gun offences

In relation to the Abbotsford file, Singh now faces additional charges including extortion using a firearm, possession of a loaded prohibited firearm, possession of a firearm without a licence, possession of a firearm knowing it was unauthorized, and occupying a vehicle knowing a firearm was present.

Surrey Police say he has also been charged in connection with the two Surrey incidents, including discharge of a firearm at a place, two counts of arson, extortion, and several other firearms offences. Reporting on the case says the total number of charges now stands at 15.

Broader extortion crackdown continues

Police say Singh remains in custody and is expected back in court this week. Surrey Police have said the accused did not previously have a criminal record and was not known to them before the investigation.

The case comes as Surrey continues to grapple with a broader wave of extortion threats and related violence targeting local businesses. Earlier this month, Surrey Police said the city had recorded 98 reported extortion incidents so far this year, 16 of them involving gunfire.

Investigators have recently said they are seeing progress through greater coordination between police agencies, and this case appears to be one example of that joint approach in action.